1 Timothy 4:1-12
The letters of the Apostle Paul to his young protégé Timothy have always served me as a once younger pastor/leader to now a little older/wiser mentor pastor/leader.
1 Timothy chapter 4 broadly follows a pattern of exhortation with ancient precedents traditional of Jewish teaching.
The speaker sets before his audience two paths or between two prospects between which they have to choose depending on how they respond to the challenge.
In Verses 4:1-5, Paul addresses the prospect of defection:
It is the Holy Spirit who has and is declaring that some will fall away / defect / abandon sound faith:
The key word here (
), can be translated “fall away,” “become apostate,” “desert,” “renounce.”
: The alternate (to be wise, sound, complete) is not only to be pursued by Timothy but he is to teach these principles.
: Then specifically, Paul urges Timothy (in light of his inexperience and youth) to pursue daily being an example!
1) the mark of a stroke or blow, print 2) a figure formed by a blow or impression 2a) of a figure or image 3) form 3a) the teaching which embodies the sum and substance of religion and represents it to the mind, manner of writing, the contents and form of a letter 4b) in an ethical sense, a dissuasive example, a pattern of warning 4c) an example to be imitated
1) of speech 1a) a word, uttered by a living voice, embodies a conception or idea 1b) what someone has said 1b1) a word 1b2) the sayings of God 1b3) decree, mandate or order 1b4) of the moral precepts given by God 1b5) Old Testament prophecy given by the prophets 1b6) what is declared, a thought, declaration, aphorism, a weighty saying, a dictum, a maxim 1c) discourse 1c1) the act of speaking, speech 1c2) the faculty of speech, skill and practice in speaking 1c3) a kind or style of speaking.
1) manner of life, conduct, behaviour, deportment
1) brotherly love, affection, good will, love, benevolence 2) love feasts
1) a movement of air (a gentle blast 1a) of the wind, hence the wind itself 1b) breath of nostrils or mouth 2) the spirit, i.e. the vital principal by which the body is animated 2a) the rational spirit, the power by which the human being feels, thinks, decides 2b) the soul 3) a spirit, i.e. a simple essence, devoid of all or at least all grosser matter, and possessed of the power of knowing, desiring, deciding, and acting
1) conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man’s relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervor born of faith and joined with it 1a) relating to God 1a1) the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ.
1) purity, sinlessness of life
: Added to these virtues Paul tells Timothy to give attention to:
: I think I can pretty much categorize this portion again under the “What is really Important Right Now” category.
Introduction: Week Two. Preparation. Question: Have you ever wondered what Mary / the Virgin Mary did in preparation for what the angel pronounced to her about being with a child? Luke 1:3, ‘You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you will name him Jesus’. (NLT) I will get to Mary and that…
Introduction: Well, the Christmas season is here! When fall has given way to winter and snow covers the ground while lights twinkle from house to house, you know Christmas is coming. Decorated Christmas trees are everywhere you look. Presents a crowd for space under the tree and families come together for a turkey feast. Christmas…
Grateful For Missions
Introduction: Missions, Missionaries, The Great Commission, Missions Trips, Outreaches, etc. Missions Heroes William Carey William Carey is regarded as the “father of modern missions”. Trained as a shoemaker, William Carey became known as the ‘father of modern missions’ for his missionary work in India. The story goes that in 1787, he suggested that all Christians…
That All Might Hear
Introduction: Missions, Missionaries, The Great Commission, Missions Trips, Outreaches, etc. ‘A Christian missionary is someone who dedicates their life to spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ and serving others in His name. It is a challenging and rewarding path, but one that can transform lives, both the missionary and those they serve. ‘Missionaries are individuals…
Matthew 1 Introduction: Week 3 – Biblical Israel – The Person. We have finally arrived at the story of Jesus, which will bring the entire biblical story to a climactic fulfillment. The arrival of Jesus will introduce a massive twist into the drama, but it’s one that we’ve seen coming. In fact, to track the…
Biblical Israel – A Promise
Introduction: Genesis 12:1-3 ‘Now the LORD had said to Abram: “Get out of your country, From your family And from your father’s house, To a land that I will show you. I will make you a great nation; I will bless you And make your name great; And you shall be a blessing. I will…
A People Introduction: Given all the news about the War in Israel, I decided it would be important to spend a few weeks sharing what the Bible has to say about Israel: The People, The Promise, The Person, and The Plan. It could very well be that not only do our children not have an…
Hebrews 6 taken from – https://www.gotquestions.org/faith-vs-belief.html Introduction: On one hand, there is no difference between faith and belief. The two terms are often used interchangeably. On the other hand, in popular English usage, the word faith often has a deeper meaning. Application: Most people believe it is important to eat healthy foods and exercise regularly; however, most…
Keeping it Lit
Introduction: On last week on what we’ve been discussing about preaching the gospel because the last days are getting nearer and then judgment. Transition: Matthew 25 is a continuation of chapter 24 as Jesus continues to teach about being aware and prepared. I ended last week on Matthew 24:14 The rest of chapter 24 looks…